Innocu-WHAT? The word “innocuous” has been popping up everywhere lately, but it seems many of us do not know the definition.
As defined by the Dictionary.com, innocuous is an adjective that means one of three things:
1. not harmful or injurious; harmless: an innocuous home remedy.
2. not likely to irritate or offend; inoffensive; an innocuous remark.
3. not interesting, stimulating, or significant; pallid; insipid: an innocuous novel.
So where have you seen this word?
1. You’ve seen “innocuous” used in the big news about Manchester United’s Antonio Valencia and his ankle injury here.
“The Manchester United winger suffered a suspected fracture dislocation of his left ankle after an innocuous challenge”
2. You’ve also seen the word here in a piece from the Winnipeg Free Press on Bieber.
“set of innocuous dance-pop and ballads that had the entire audience screaming”
Next time you see the word innocuous, you won’t need to go look it up! You’re welcome!