Last month Forbes gave us a list of the America’s richest people — now the mogul-loving magazine just released a list of the 2010 World’s 100 Most Powerful Women.
There are definitely some shocking names on the list this year. Some are names I’ve never heard of, some are names I wish I’d never hear from again.
So, who made the list? Keep reading to find out.
According to Forbes.com:
When we set out to identify this year’s list, we decided it was time to look up and out into the broader culture. Our assessment is based less on traditional titles and roles and more on creative influence and entrepreneurship. These power women have built distinctive companies and brands and championed weighty causes, sometimes through unconventional means; in other cases they have broken through gender barriers.We divided our power women candidates into four groups: politics, business, media and lifestyle (that is, entertainment, sports and fashion). We ranked the women in each group, and then group against group. Not easy, but that’s today’s reality: an unpredictable, diverse mash-up of hard power (currencies and constitutions) and dynamic power (audience and audacity).
Well, I guess that explains why Miss Meat Dress herself, Lady Gaga, made the top ten. It makes sense that the First Lady would come in first, and I even understand why Ellen DeGeneres would snag 10th place. But Gaga??
Here’s the top ten. Yes, you will be graded on this later:
1. Michelle Obama, First Lady, U.S. (Duh)
2. Irene Rosenfeld, Chief Executive, Kraft Foods (Who?)
3. Oprah Winfrey, Talk show host and media mogul (Of course)
4. Angela Merkel, Chancellor, Germany (Yay, Germany!)
5. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Secretary of State, U.S. (What about Chelsea?)
6. Indra Nooya, Chief Executive, Pepsico (I prefer Coke)
7. Lady Gaga, Singer and performance artist (Don’t get me started)
8. Gail Kelly, Chief Executive, Westpac (West what?)
9. Beyoncé Knowles, Singer and fashion designer (If I weren’t already so miffed about Gaga, I’d be seething over this one)
10. Ellen DeGeneres, Talk show host (Love her)
What do you think of the top ten?