If you’re too old to trick-or-treat this Halloween, don’t despair. You can have just as much fun watching a Halloween movie. Cozy up on the couch with one of these favorites below and you’ll be sleeping with the lights on for weeks.
These 10 (in no particular order) are sure to scare:
1. The Shining: Stanley Kubrick’s eerie masterpiece is not to be taken lightly. Jack Nicholson and his family become caretakers of a deserted hotel and it gets creepier by the second.
2. Halloween: A child murderer is on the loose and starts making people disappear one by one.
3. The Innocents: A caretaker for two kids becomes convinced that the grounds they live on are haunted. Spooky.
4. The Omen: An American finds out that his son might just be the anti-Christ.
5. The Ring: Naomi Watts stars as a journalist in this freaky film where viewers of a videotape die after watching it.
Next five after the jump…
6. Jacob’s Ladder: A Vietnam war vet finds out that home isn’t what it used to be when strange things start happening around him and he sees his dead son.
7. Poltergeist: A suburban family is haunted by the ghosts in their house and it quickly gets out of hand.
8. Saw: We’re introduced to a serial killer named Jigsaw who is just getting started in this first film of the Saw series.
9. Night of the Living Dead: A group of people take refuge from the dead in an old farmhouse, but the future looks grim for them. Don’t be fooled by this black and white film–it’s sure to haunt you.
10. The Exorcist: You know this one, the 12-year-old girl who is possessed. It’s a good watch.
For a real treat, watch one of these movies alone, in the dark, during a storm. It works better than caffeine–you won’t be able to sleep. So anyway, why do we like to be scared? Maybe because we know it’s not real and just a Halloween movie. But a few of these Halloween movies may have you questioning your sanity. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.