Jury selection begins today in the federal trial of Brian David Mitchell, the man who kidnapped Elizabeth Smart from her Utah home on June 5, 2002 and held her captive for nine months. The Smart family is confident in the prosecution and it looks like after a long 8 years, justice will be served.
Back in 2008, Brian David Mitchell, 57, was indicted on federal charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor, Elizabeth Smart, across state lines. If he is convicted, he may face life in prison. Although deemed incompetent back in 2003, Brian David Mitchell was found competent to stand trial earlier this year.
The trial will take some time, though. Prosecutors are prepared to put 22 witnesses on the stand and picking the jury alone could take a couple of weeks. The defense is arguing that the media frenzy over the case has already made a pool of 200 jurors ineligible, but U.S. District Judge Dale Kimball rejected the request to move the trial to another state.
Elizabeth Smart recounts her ordeal:
He told me he was a prophet. He said he was the voice of God on Earth and that he would reign over God’s children until Jesus came.
During captivity, Elizabeth Smart was given a new name and was forced to don religious garb including a long white robe, a head scarf, and two veils. She’ll turn 23 on November 3rd.